Taking advantage of good periodontal services Long Island can help you keep your teeth healthy, but even if you try your best, there are factors beyond your control that can play a large role in the general health of your teeth. Genetics play a part in everything from how susceptible you are to cavities to what color your teeth are. Even if you practice good hygiene, you might end up in the dentist’s chair for a filling. But that doesn’t mean that you should give into your genes and stop trying to achieve a healthy smile.
To give your teeth the best shot at staying healthy, try:
- Brushing after meals and snacks. People hear this advice, but how many actually bring a toothbrush to work and follow it? Take small steps at home by brushing after dinner, and you’ll gradually work toward brushing after all other meals and snacks.
- Flossing every day. Flossing even once a day removes trapped food particles from between your teeth. Not only will flossing help prevent tooth decay, it can also help freshen your breath.
- Using fluoride. Using a toothpaste with fluoride will strengthen your tooth enamel, and that helps prevent tooth decay. When fluoride is absorbed into your weakened teeth, it binds to the enamel to create a strong tooth surface.
- Chewing sugarless gum. Chewing on sugarless gum, especially a brand with Xylitol, can increase your flow of saliva. Saliva washes away acids from your teeth that can lead to cavities. This is especially helpful between meals when you can’t brush.
- Boosting your calcium intake. Studies show that calcium can help re-mineralize your teeth and help prevent cavities. Snack on calcium-rich foods such as yogurt and cheese. Bonus: Cheese has been shown to increase calcium in the mouth after eating.
- Visiting your dentist regularly. Getting periodontal services Long Island can keep your teeth in good health. Getting teeth cleaned professionally every 6-months will let your dentist or hygienist remove any plaque that has built up and give your teeth a good check to take care of any issues before they begin.
Periodontal services in Long Island at Island Dental Associates are ready to help keep your teeth looking and feeling their best. Of course, if none of this works, there’s always porcelain veneers to cover up the product of those damaging genes!
It may seem like a lot, but taking small steps each day to care for your teeth will keep you smiling brightly for many years to come.